Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Did he REALLY say this??

Here's a quote from Obama, concerning the Arizona immigration law...

"We're examining any implications especially for civil rights because in the United States of America, no law abiding person -- be they an American citizen, illegal immigrant, or a visitor or tourist from Mexico -- should ever be subject to suspicion simply because of what they look like."

This doesn't even require any opinion or interpretation of the law whatsoever...aren't "law abiding person" and "illegal immigrant" mutually exclusive? How can one obey laws, yet be in the country illegally? It doesn't make sense.

Of course, I have to add- he clearly hasn't read the law, as one of the most important aspects is that those who are "law abiding" will not be subject to suspicion, as officers will have no reason to have contact with them.

5 comments:

Sabin said...

The law is very unclear about what constitutes suspicion, that is part of the reason that the state association of police chiefs opposes the law. I've known illegals who are wonderful law-abiding people. They are here illegally, yes, that's a crime. But they are proud to be here, proud to work hard, proud to be a part of this society.
I think it is abundantly clear that Obama was talking about people who came here illegally who follow our laws. You know it took Alex NINE YEARS to get legal status? It's not easy.

Mrs.Thornton said...

I not arguing either side of the law in this post- I'm saying what he said does not make sense.

If they came here illegally, they didn't follow our laws. Period. No argument.

You can't call them "law-abiding people" if they're daily breaking a law to remain here. It's not just a one-time thing, if they are here, illegally. Every single day, by not having gone through the proper avenues to become a legal citizen, they are breaking the law.

The United States is an extremely desirable country in which to live, so it shouldn't be easy to gain citizenship. It should take some work to be here. We can't choose where we begin life- it may not be fair, but it's reality. Some people are going to be born here, and some are going to have to work hard to get here. Nothing we can change.

Sabin said...

I don't know. It's the difference between saying someone is doing something stupid and that the person IS stupid. I break laws all the time, roll through stop signs, don't claim tips, speed...it doesn't make me a criminal but it does mean I break the law. I think it's best to use terms that emphasize the humanity of those involved as opposed to making them out to be criminals.

I only responded to the part of the bill that you referenced, I didn't think this was an apologetic post in favor of the bill, I got what you were saying. :)

Mrs.Thornton said...

I think rolling through stop signs is completely different than being in the country illegally.

It's like tax evasion combined with *technically* not being subject to any of ours laws.

I would rather see people help illegals gain citizenship, than to defend what they're doing. That way, among other things, they pay taxes and are accountable to our laws and penal system. Otherwise, they can get away with murder (literally), and face only deportation.

Sabin said...

I agree with you. I struggle with those who are wanting to just kick em all out. I'd love to implement a program where they can work toward legal status. That's what this administration wants to do. But incendiary language doesn't help and in the context of what he was saying, I think it's clear what he meant. No one should be subject to racial profiling. But I guess he could have said it different.