Monday, January 26, 2009

Don't Make Assumptions

This headline caught my eye, so I took a quick look...although I'm wholly unqualified to critique something such as an inaugural address, Robinson, a self-admitted former speech writer, made some very good points. I've been having similar thoughts, but have struggled to verbalize them.

1) Inauguration day 2009 was a momentous event because it marked the swearing in of our first African American president. Awesome, fabulous, I totally agree. I never disliked Obama because he's black- you all know that.

2) Just because it was a momentous occasion, does not mean we're all unified in purpose now. Remember that, people. Don't assume that we all agree with you. It may have been less than a majority, but there were many who voted for McCain, and still identify closely with his ideals.

3) It takes a lot to begin to have respect for someone with whom you wholly disagree, and Obama has made that a lot more difficult. The feeling I was left with after watching the inauguration (and which Robinson relates) is that he spoke only to and for those who voted for him. Don't bother to speak to the rest of us, who have simply stuck to our beliefs. Don't bother to draw us in, and begin the process of unification, like you've promised so many dozens of times- you got elected without our support, why should you need it now?

I'm all for unification in America. I'd love to see the day when we're truly an integrated society, with blacks, whites, hispanics, everyone working together to get back to American ideals. This won't be accomplished under false pretenses. I give lots of people respect before they earn it. Once they lose it, however, they must earn it back- I'm not just handing it over. And I know I'm not the only one.

So the comment: "Everybody in America is unified right now except for you." Not true. And I don't feel bad about it.

No comments: